Clear Aligners: What Are The Benefits & Effective Tips?
Orthodontic dental issues such as misaligned and crooked teeth can negatively impact your smile and oral health. It can get difficult for individuals suffering from these dental health issues to freely and confidently smile and interact with people.
Apart from this, these orthodontic issues can also make it impossible for them to access their teeth properly during brushing and flossing, exposing them to other dental conditions such as gum disease.
These are among the key reasons patients with orthodontic dental issues visit our dentist in Kearney, NE, for orthodontic treatment options. Clear aligners are one of the most sought-after orthodontic treatments patients request.
Clear aligners have revolutionized orthodontic treatment because, unlike traditional metal braces, these clear aligners are inconspicuous and aesthetically pleasing. This has made them an instant sensation among our patients, particularly teenagers and adults who wish to straighten their smiles inconspicuously.
Clear Aligners 101
Clear aligners are an orthodontic treatment available at our dentist near you that involves using clear plastic trays to realign the teeth. This thermoplastic material is transparent, making it almost invisible.
This is one of the fantastic reasons most people want this orthodontic treatment. Unlike traditional metal braces, the clear aligners do not stand out and can be removed during meals or oral hygiene sessions.
Clear aligners near you work on the same principle as metal braces; they apply a calculated pressure to the affected teeth, gradually shifting them into the desired positions. These aligners come in a series, with each set in the series being worn for about two weeks.
As you go down the series of aligners, your smile should get much straighter as your teeth begin moving into position. A clear aligner orthodontic treatment may take 6 to 18 months to complete. This period varies from one patient to the next based on the severity of the dental issue being resolved.
Benefits of Clear Aligners
Here are some of the most notable benefits of clear aligners;
- They are comfortable: Unlike metal braces, clear aligners are fabricated from a thermoplastic material that is smooth and comfortable. This means your gums will not be irritated or grazed, as with metal braces, particularly when damaged.
- Aesthetically pleasing: clear aligners near you are made with a see-through plastic material, making them inconspicuous and almost invisible.
- No dietary restrictions: clear aligners can be taken off during meals; this means you can still indulge in any food you want to without fearing damaging the clear braces. However, since traditional braces cannot be taken off during meals, you have to steer clear of any food that may damage the braces.
- Dental hygiene: clear aligners can also be taken off during oral hygiene sessions. This means you can get to brush your teeth and floss as you would normally ensure that your mouth, teeth, and gums stay clean, fresh, and healthy. Traditional braces do not offer this convenience, and brushing and flossing can be challenging.
- Short treatment period: clear aligners can straighten your smile within a maximum of 18 months, while traditional braces can go up to 24 months before the treatment is complete.
- A predictable treatment plan: your clear aligners are fabricated and designed using a 3D image; this scan shows how your smile currently looks, how it will look as you progress with your treatment, and the end result. This guarantees that the treatment will precisely deliver the anticipated results, particularly if you follow the guidelines on using clear aligners.
Tips on How to Use Clear Aligners
Clear aligners can effectively straighten your smile. However, for this to happen, you must follow the guidelines our dentist in Kearney, NE, gives you on how to use your clear aligners. Some of the tips that will help make your treatment effective include:
- Take off your clear aligners before you eat or drink anything apart from water to avoid staining or damaging the aligners.
- Practice proper oral hygiene. This is possible because you can take off the clear aligners when you need to brush and floss your teeth.
- Wear your aligners for about 20- 22 minutes every day to ensure that the treatment will be effective.
- Ensure that you clean your trays before putting them on every time. Dirty trays can be a source of dental infections and bad breath.
- Proceed to the next tray within the series at the specified time. Make sure to complete all aligners in the series, as this will compromise the entire treatment plan.
- Keep all scheduled dental appointments during the treatment to ensure that your treatment progresses as it should and delivers the intended result.
Contact us today at Platte Valley Dental Clinic for your customized clear aligner orthodontic treatment.